Time for a new list!

Now that 2002 had arrived we can close out the 2001 year lists and start
anew.  Tracy and I did some local birding yesterday morning to kick things
off.  We tallied 52 species in a couple of hours birding the Mid-Pines Road
area and Lake Johnson in Raleigh.  Best birds were a pair of locally
uncommon Redhead ducks on a local pond, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch at our
feeder.  In general the numbers of ducks are down quite a bit.  1010 Pond
has perhaps two dozen birds, Westlake Pond three dozen, and NCSU dairy two
dozen.  In past years we have seen several hundred birds in these locations
at this date.  To add insult to injury our wintering group of 5 Tundra
Swans left Greenview Pond last week and has not be seen since.  However,
the chance to get out and bird is welcome anytime, ducks or not.

Have a great week and good luck on your year lists,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC