Hummingbirds

Hello,

I have 2 hummingbirds coming to feeders..one is a female Ruby-throat and
the other is probably an immature male Ruby -throat...but he has alot I of
what I call rust under his wings with just a little ruby coloring on his
throat. He has an all geen back. It is very difficult to get a good look at
him, because he is so scittish and hides in a large gardenia bush. I put
out a 3rd feeder today near this bush and he is feeding a lot more now that
he has better cover. Hopefully I can get some better field marks. Any help
on this would be very much appreciated as I am a novice birder.

Both hummers have been here since Oct. I have travelled a lot so my
observations have been inconsistent and I just put my  feeders back up a
few weeks ago. My friends next door also have feeders out...the female goes
there more often. They had impatiens blooming very near their feeders until
Christmas week.

Now that the weather is turning much colder I am concerned. They were
feeding on the camellias that were blooming and the many other flowers in
my gardens  that are now frosted. I do have many pansies planted!?

I did order Nectar-plus today and that company suggested putting out a
heating lamp near the gardenia bush.

Any other suggestions?.. about helping other birds through this cold spell.
I have many feeders out and heated birdbaths. The water is a BIG attraction.

Thanks
Kaye