Litchfield-Pawleys Islland CBC

Hi Carolinabirders,
	Today was the day for the 31st Litchfield-Pawleys Island CBC.  This may
have been the most intimidating weather ever for this count.   Cloudy and
cold in the morning and by noon very heavy (read nasty) weather developed
with flurries turning to light and then moderate snow and then changing to
icy rain. For the second time in the count we had a party by boat out in
the ocean. But 5 to 7 foot waves sent it back to the comfort of the inlet
after about 2 hours.  Despite the weather we managed to reach the 150 mark
and maybe a bit above that.  Exceptional birds reported and documented by
experienced observers familiar with the species were Long-tailed Duck
(formerly Oldsquaw) Pomarine and Parasitic Jaeger, Lincoln's Sparrow and
two count firsts-3 Rufous Hummingbirds, and 2 Nelson's Sharp-tailed
Sparrow.  I am skeptical (but still open minded) of two other birds
reported and described. A checklist from an observer in a gated
neighborhood is still out.

Jack

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC