New River CBC, 22 Dec. '01

Dear Blue Ridge Birders, carolinabirds:

The 2001 New River (North Carolina) CBC had 14 participants in field parties
and one feeder watcher, about normal participation for this count in the
last few years. This count circle is centered in west central Alleghany
County and includes part of extreme southern Grayson County, Virginia.
Elevation ranges from approximately 2550' along the New River near
Independence to 4300' in the Peach Bottom Mountains between Whitehead and
Laurel Springs.

The 2001 CBC produced 64 species, plus 1 during the count week, not a
record, but about normal. Two species were new to the count, Green-Winged
Teal and Red-Breasted Merganser. One, a well described House Wren (A.
Boynton), was unusual in winter in the mountains.

Several trends have developed over the past few years that I consider
important, as follows: The as yet inexplicable drop in Wild Turkey numbers,
increasing and variable waterfowl numbers, and the recently increasing
numbers of both eagle species in Alleghany and Ashe counties during winter.

Wild Turkeys numbers in this count circle and the adjacent Mount Jefferson
CBC circle (east and central Ashe) had been increasing throughout the last
decade, with New River recording 400 birds and Mt. Jefferson 125 birds in
the 2000 CBC, both highs. This year New River recorded 125 Turkeys and Mt.
Jefferson 25, thus showing declines of roughly 70 to 80%. Though I doubt
that the actual decline is that great, I do not think that this is a fluke.
Since mid-summer I have noticed a great drop in Turkey numbers, or at least
those visible from the backroads of Ashe and Alleghany that I drive
regularly in my job. Conversations with deer, grouse, and rabbit hunters
this fall have reinforced this observation. For whatever reason, Wild Turkey
populations have dropped here. I have only found one carcass on my own farm,
that I took to be of a very slow-moving and obviously distressed tom visible
on the pasture on several occasions in June. As no one has mentioned
disease, nor mentioned the finding of large numbers of carcasses, I tend to
discount an epidemic, though it may be possible. The only other new factor
locally appears to be the burgeoning coyote population, which should not
affect adult Turkeys, but certainly could predate nests. Comments
appreciated.

Waterfowl, except for Canada Geese, continue to be highly variable. The
Green-Winged Teal (A. Boynton and E. Harrold) is certainly late and a first
for the count. Similarly, the Red-Breasted Merganser (J. Keighton) is new
and unusual. There are a number of species of ducks, however, as well as
Pied-Billed Grebe, that would be more expected but were absent this year,
with only Mallards being widely distributed. Canada Geese set a new high,
with 264 birds.

The adult Golden Eagle (A. Boynton and E. Harrold) on the count marks the
second year in a row that this spectacular bird has been on the New River
CBC. Despite an intensive search on the 23rd and 24th, we were unable to
relocate this bird. We missed a count week imm. Bald Eagle (H. & V. Blevins)
by only two days, when Harrol Blevins reported a third-year bird on the New
River. A week earlier, on the Mt. Jefferson CBC, adjacent to the New River
CBC circle, a first year Bald Eagle was reported (Coman and Coman). Thus
this year we had three eagles present in western Alleghany and eastern Ashe
in a two-week period. Over the last five years eagle reports out of the
migration periods have increased significantly. Lately, since '96, we have
been having 3 to 4 Golden Eagles in this area November - March and possibly
10 to 12 Bald Eagles reported during the same period. As the number of
birders has been constant, I assume this is due to more eagles. Great!

A number of species were present either in very low numbers; Hermit Thrush
2, Purple Finch 2, Ruby-Crowned Kinglet 2, Brown Creeper 1; or absent;
Bobwhite, Common Snipe, Woodcock. A pleasant surprise was an imm. Red-Headed
Woodpecker, which is very difficult to locate locally.

James Coman
Compiler, New River CBC