Durham CBC summery

The Durham, NC CBC was held December 16th.  We had excellent mild weather
and found 10,248 birds of 92 species.  Highlights included:  Merlin,
Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Fish Crow, 2
Red-breasted Nuthatches, 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers,  Black and White
Warbler, and Rusty Blackbirds.  Many thanks to Norm Budnitz, Owen
McConnell, George Barlow and Doug Shadwick for their fine reports.  Birds
in high numbers included an astonishing 342 vultures, split nearly evenly
between both species, 43 Red-headed Woodpeckers, (all species of
woodpeckers were near record numbers, courtesy of Hurricane Fran???), and
new high counts for Red-shouldered Hawk, Eastern Towhee, and American
Goldfinch.  Eastern Meadowlarks returned to a diminished  12 after a
disappointingly short-lived spike of 77 last year, and Bobwhites reached
the ultimate low of zero.  However, we had 2 Loggerhead Shrikes, our other
vanishing open country bird.

Mike Schultz, compiler
Durham, NC