RE: Monk nest

Is it not one of the challenges of ecological study and thought to think
long term?  Past the length of one human life, or ten or a hundred?  This is
an innate handicap of humans, it appears.  I mean, how often can we actually
see the fate of one seemingly meaningless population of an exotic species
within our lifetimes?  I dont disagree, that these little pockets of Monk
parakeets seem to be relatively harmless right now, considering the
countless other threats there are to local ecosystems.  However, others may
argue this where they have seen major outbreaks (e.g. Fla.).  Overall, the
future stability of natural communities and systems, at all levels, seems to
be more important to me than a checked box on a list of some humans with a
hobby.  Hence, my opinion about controlling these birds.  OOOOHHHHH.  Ok, I
shall probably just back up against the wall now.  I've nothing against
listing or birding (I am on this list.)  But what is the real reason that we
are appreciating what we seem to be appreciating?  I guess this is a
question for the individual, not the entire list as a whole.  Forgive me if
I have offended anyone.  Everyone has their bag, and I respect that.  I'm
just sharing mine, though maybe in a scattered fashion here, too.

Jason Bulluck
Masters Candidate
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University