Clemson hummer update

Hello Carolinabirders,

Because I  have been away for a few days, I had not seen the Rufous imm.
female here since Jan. 14., but she was here briefly this morning! My
neighbors also told me they see her just about every day, but she does not
feed that often. Obviously she is making out quite well on her own...lots
of bugging I guess. That's very encouraging!

Karen wrote about the increased singing. Male Cardinals are gloriously
singing here now! I have a pair of brown-headed nuthatches roosting in a
bluebird house in my backyard near the lake..they have been there all
winter. I do hear Bluebirds warbling  in my backyard too so I put up
another bluebird house. Flying squirrels are nesting in a 3rd box in that
same area. We have seen the Bluebirds checking out a Flicker box we put up
late last fall and it is not in the open. My yard is not exactly open
either..very wooded, but Bluebirds have nested for two years now in my
backyard where there is a small patch of open lawn near the lake. ( I feel
blessed!) There are several Blue birds in our neighborhood nesting in
similar small open areas. I put two BB houses up in the community park here
and one had nesting Bluebirds and the other a Chickadee nest. It makes me
wonder if  the Bluebirds are adapting to a less open environment?

Anyway, I will keep everone updated about the Rufous as best I can.