salvaged specimens

CBirders,
	The recent postings on how to dispatch a bird that is clearly
going to die anyway reminded me to request that any of you in the
Charlotte area who happen upon a dead bird in good condition give me
a call at 704 333 2405. We can always use new specimens for the
UNC-Charlotte museum collection. There are some surprising gaps in
our collection, the most noteworthy being not a single House Finch
(but plenty of Purples!) This anomaly arose because most of the
collection was made in the 70s and early 80s before the House Finches
made it to the Charlotte area. We also have nary a single Blue Jay,
no male towhees (Eastern or exotic--and, no I didn't collect the
Green-tailed!) If you do find a window or road kill in good shape,
just pop it in the freezer and call me. Please note the date and
location where you found the bird.

	Thanks.
--

Rob Bierregaard

				Phones: 704 333 2405
Biology Department			704 547 3499
UNC-Charlotte			Faxes:	704 333 2404
9201 University City Blvd.		704 547 3128
Charlotte NC 28223-0001		rbierreg@email.uncc.edu

	http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/bierregaard/