RE: I love Carolina Wrens!

Hi Karen,

I never get tired of seeing the carolina wren either, they truly are
amazing.  And definitely the loudmouths in my area, they have more alarm
calls than a lot of birds do songs I think!!  Thanks for sharing your story,
take care.

Craig Armstrong
Chapel Hill NC

Howdy!

A lot of you know about my affection for loons and chickadees.
Carolina Wrens are fast becoming another favorite, especially since
moving to Raleigh. They are a joy to watch in the yard! I kept the
basket up by the front entrance where they nested two years ago. There
has been quite a bit of activity around the basket the past few weeks.
One day there was a dispute between two wrens, a chickadee, and a
titmouse. The wrens won. A pair of wrens have been using the basket on
cold nights. A thin lining of pine needles, grasses, and lint lays
inside the basket.

One day I heard what sounded like a very agitated titmouse in the
backyard. I looked outside to see three chickadees, three titmice, and
two bluebirds, each taking their own turn looking inside a box. Guess
they were discussing territorial rights!

A chickadee has been using another box at night. Have others noticed
birds interested in the boxes in their yard? It's fun to see them using
the boxes in winter, too!

I've noticed more singing lately. Cardinals, titmice, towhees, and
Carolina Wrens are singing pretty. It always surprises me I guess,
especially when the cardinal is singing beautiful songs with 12'' of
snow on the ground! It's a special treat!

Looking forward to CBC in Nagshead this weekend. See some of you there!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net