Starling problems

     At the start of the weekend, I noticed that suet was disappearing
rapidly from my squirrel-proof hanging basket.  While watching the yard
for the bird count, I discovered the reason: starlings.  When I put out
a new suet block yesterday, I hung the basket horizontally under it's
rain guard.  That has helped but it hasn't eliminated the starlings.
The only small bird that had trouble adjusting was a yellow-rumped
warbler.
     Will one of the suet boxes that are open only at the bottom keep
starlings away without discouraging everyone else?  Would a hanging suet
log work better?  I need some help on this one.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu