correction to the Chapel Hill CBC

For the last two Chapel Hill Christmas Bird Counts, a blue morph Snow Goose
has been reported with a flock of Canada Geese off Pickett Rd. in Durham.
Each time it was seen at a moderate distance.

With close inspection, however, it turns out not to be a Snow Goose at all,
but a bizarre hybrid Canada x something that just happens to have a color
pattern very similar to that of a blue goose.  Thanks to Toni Rexrode, who
relocated the bird last week in a pond on Colony Rd. (near intersection with
Pickett Rd.), I got a good look at it on Friday.

Since the count had been finalized, I sent an e-mail to Geoff LeBaron and he
took the goose off for both years, as well as fixed the "Northern Goshawk"
in the database for count 96 (that one was just a data entry typo - it was a
Cooper's).

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu