Great Backyard Bird Count oddities

Dear Folks;

Having read Alan Kniedel's post and the chatter that followed, my initial
impression was "Wow! These guys are working in some really interesting
backyards in good ol' N.C.". Who are they and where do they bird? They are
coming up with stuff that most subscribers to carolinabirds are NOT seeing.

Its fun to try to figure out what they actually saw, but I admit that the
"Willow Ptarmigan" has me stumped. White Leghorn pullets, maybe? Guinea
Hens?

Novices add a great deal to our sport and must be encouraged, even though
some of the identifications are hilarious. In the early '90's I actually had
a "Great Gray Owl" reported by an enthusiastic kid on a New River CBC.
Turned out to be a gray-morph Screech Owl and the kid's poor field guide
only showed a red-morph. Second best, on Mount Jefferson CBC years ago was a
"Mountain Bluebird" reported by a elderly lady recently moved to Ashe County
from Florida. It WAS a Bluebird, and, YES, it WAS in the MOUNTAINS.

James Coman
Alleghany County