RE: ] Ivory-billed Woodpecker search

I'm sure that Mike was in jest with the post below, but the issue is
interesting.  I am a bit disappointed that the search did not turn up
positive evidence of the birds, although the sound recordings are
interesting.  It is very difficult to prove a negative (i.e. it's easy to
prove a positive when there IS a bird , but just because you do NOT see a
bird does not mean that it is not there), but I'm afraid that the Zeiss
search probably did provide overwhelming evidence that IF there are ANY
Ivory-bill's still hanging on, there are probably not enough to assure the
species continued survival.  There would need to be a sufficient number of
individual birds to assure successful breeding year in and year out.  I
feel the Zeiss search provides strong evidence that there is not a
biologically viable population of Ivory-bills in the Pearl River area.
Although I am not optimistic that any of us will ever get the chance to see
an Ivory-bill in the wild, we can hope.  Does anyone know if there is
support for a similar search for the bird in Cuba?  My understanding is
that there were much more recent records of the birds (1980's?) from
central and southern parts of the island.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC

"Eagan, Michael" <MEagan@stantec.com>@acpub.duke.edu on 02/22/2002 02:39:04