wanted: squirrel-proof suet recipe

Has anyone had any success with keeping squirrels away
from homemade suet without the use of feeders and/or
baffles etc.?

My desire is keep the yard as natural as possible for
aesthetic and photographic purposes, plus decrease
maintenance time and expense. It is easiest to make a
batch of suet and wedge it into tree crevices etc.

Therefore, the suet recipe itself or something
invisible near the suet must repel the furry little
acrobats. I am about to try mixing tabasco sauce or
red pepper with the recipe. A preliminary internet
search shows that smells are only marginally
effective.

Is this a hopeless goal? Should I just give in and
take squirrel pictures?

Jerry Stensland
Rutherford Co., NC