Re: Two new hummingbird books

I haven't seen Howell's Hummingbird book from Academic Press yet
but I do have the books on raptors and sparrows from the same
series and highly recommend both.  Extrapolate from that what
you wish.  A future book in this series will deal with the
flycathers of North America... can't wait.

I have seen the Peterson guide -- broused through it at the
local bookstore.  Looked to be well put together with lots of
nice information.  Obviously I haven't poured through the text.

My main concerns were with the photographs.  Aside from being
tiny (as in _Dragonflies Through Binoculars_ tiny), almost all
of the photos were detailed shots of hand-held birds.  That may
be great for showing the size, shape and color of the third
retice pair on a hatching-year female Such-and-such Hummingbird
but for those of us who can't legally go out and catch hummers,
how useful is it as a FIELD guide?  Will it help me identify
hummers in the field?

Gary?  Susan?  Anyone who has the book care to their thoughts
on that?

Thanks,

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN