New NC bird book!

Howdy!

I'm delighted to announce a new book, "Birding in North Carolina State
Parks," produced by Audubon North Carolina, is now available!! Using the
same basic format as Wake Audubon's "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the
Triangle," the 164-page book describes 34 state parks. The 35
contributors and authors are park superintendents, park rangers, and
birders. Some names will be familiar to you from the Carolinabirds
Listserve, like Will Cook, Brian Bockhahn, Harry LeGrand, Karen Bearden,
Josh Rose, Lori and Dwayne Martin, and Scott Hartley. There are also
beautiful map and bird illustrations. Proceeds from the sale of "Birding
in North Carolina State Parks" will benefit joint projects between
Audubon North Carolina and the NC Division of Parks and Recreation.
Volunteers from the seven NC Audubon chapters are helping me sell the
book at their Audubon programs, local nature stores, county and city
parks, bird stores, science museums, and independent bookstores. The
book will also be available at some of the state parks. I'll be selling
the book at Carolina Bird Club, Wake Audubon, and Chapel Hill Bird Club
meetings, too.

There are no Audubon chapters east of Raleigh, so if you know of stores
in Greenville, Wilson, Goldsboro, or Nagshead that would be interested
in selling the book, let me know. I have a list of the NC bird clubs in
the Resource section of the book. Let me know if your club would be
interested in selling the book at meetings or stores. By the way, I
acknowledged the help I received from birders on the Carolinabirds
Listserve in the book!! THANKS AGAIN!!

Of course I can mail a book to you, too. "Birding in North Carolina
State Parks" costs $15, or $18.25 by mail. Make checks payable to
National Audubon Society-NC and mail it to me at: Karen Bearden, 1809
Lakepark Drive, Raleigh, NC 27612. For more information you can contact
me at 919-844-9050 or chickadeebirders@earthlink.net.

The book is a wonderful way to show off our state parks for visitors who
enjoy birding, hiking, and nature. I'll keep you up to date with the
money raised and how Audubon NC is using it to benefit birds and the
environment. I'm proud to say Wake Audubon has raised over $7,000 so far
from the sale of "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle." We're spending
some of the money now purchasing bird houses and wildflower seeds for
our projects at Anderson Point Park, among others.

For more information on either book contact me at
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net.

Happy birding! Karen Bearden