RE: Yard birds and Butterflies

Had a flock of about forty Cedar Waxwings feasting on berries in a cedar
across the street from me early this afternoon.  AND, AmKestrels appear to
be making a comeback in my area after a 3-4-year hiatus.  Kestrels seen
within the past two weeks at Cowans Ford WR (actually, on wires over the
open fields near the McDowell Creek waste treatment plant, as well as from
the viewing stands overlooking the WR's ponds), many times on a wire over
I-77 median nr MM 26, and in my own backyard.  My neighbor Colin MacArthur
reports a Merlin in his backyard muching on birds frequenting his feeders.
Although I haven't seen it myself, Mac's an expert observer who knows
whereof he speaks.  He is also a master carver of waterfowl.  You should see
the Black Swan he's working on at present.  And, he's 81!  What a guy!

Actually had a dry-season Sleepy Orange as my first butterfly of the season
about three weeks ago and since; according to Glassberg this is about a
whole month too early for them.  The earlier fine Spring-like weather must
have been responsible as our Crocuses were up then, too.

Cheers!
Tomm "the artist formerly known as Princox" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
skytomm(at)1000plus.com or tomlo(at)microsoft.com
The song is but half;
  head and heart inform senses--
    fulfill the hearing
visit me @ http://www.1000plus.com/Hbirds/