The Urban Turkey

I've noticed in the past few years that Wild Turkey numbers around here seem
to be growing fast and they are getting quite bold.  I used to have to search
for them.  Now they turn up all over the place and in very public places that
you would never expect.  Last year there was one on the side of a busy street
in Asheville.  This year we often see good size flocks of them near the dam at
the CP&L plant (power plant) which is actually a rapidly urbanizing area.  Now
I see them regularly on the side of NC 280 in Mills River.  This is a busy
four-lane highway.  Have they lost all fear of us???
Marilyn Westphal
Hendersonville, NC
mjwestphal@unca.edu