Re: Eastern Shore

I just went up to the Eastern Shore the last weekend of February.  We
usually go into Assateague, which is only about 5 minutes from Chincoteague.
  They have excellent birding trails, and you can also access some trails by
car after 3 p.m. When we went, we saw a large flock of Tundra Swans right by
the visitors center on your way to the beach access. They were mixed in with
a bunch of Snow Geese. We also saw black ducks, red-breasted mergansers, and
a large number of Northern Shovelers, to name a few species.

If you don't stay in Chincoteague, I would highly recommend going up to
Assateague anyway. It's one of my most favorite birding spots. And I don't
know if you know this, but you can get permission to stop on the Chesapeake
Bay Bridge-Tunnel to birdwatch.  Many species of sea ducks winter around the
rocks, including Harlequins, Oldsquaw, and Eiders. Go to
http://www.cbbt.com/birding.html for more information on how to get
permission.

Happy Birding!

Kathy