new security at the St. Stephen fish lift

The fish lift at St. Stephen, in Berkeley County, SC is a wonderful wildlife
viewing spot. During the fish migration (March 15 through April 15) you can
observe hundreds of fish from the viewing room and also hundreds of fish
eating birds (cormorants, herons, eagles, osprey, gulls, etc).

Dennis Forsythe has just let me know that there is increased security at the
fish lift this year. It will be open from March 15 through April 15 only.
WALK IN VISITORS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. This means that if you want to visit
this great spot you need to call ahead and get permission.

Call Sabrina Wright at the SCNDR Dennis Center at 843-825-3387 for more
information.

The Columbia Audubon Society plans a field trip to the fish lift on
Saturday, 30 March 2002. I have not contacted SCDNR about this yet. If you
want to attend the field trip reply to me via email.  I will call Sabrina
Wright tomorrow and try to get clarification about visiting protocols. Once
I have more information I will post it on Carolinabirds.

I repeat. Do not go to the fish lift without calling SCDNR first to get
permission. You may be turned away.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com