Re: Suggestions for good evergreen vine with wildlife value

> I'm looking for a good EVERGREEN vine, that grows rapidly and has benifit to
> wildlife.
> A twinning vine would be best since, I'm trying to grow it up a vertical
> wire trellis.
> Lush foliage would be a plus since I'm using it as a privacy screen.
> The area is on the west side of our house and gets morning shade and
> afternoon sun.
>
> Things I've been thinking of:
>
> Crossvine (hummers?)
> Carolina Jessamine (butterflies & bees?)
> Confederate Jasmine

Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) is the best choice for a privacy
screen - it's the fastest-growing and most dense.  I haven't noticed any
birds using the flowers, but it's a favorite for hiding nests in.

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) is great for hummingbirds, but not as fast-
growing or dense.

Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) has nice-smelling flowers,
but is not the best wildlife plant.  It's an exotic species (from China, I
think) but not invasive here at the edge of its hardiness, as far as I know.

Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is great for hummers, but not
evergreen enough for this purpose.

Some more suggestions for plants for attracting birds:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/plants4birds.html

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu