pond birds

on my ride at the gravel pit pond in Orange Co. I believe I saw red-breasted
mergs., they definitely weren't hooded and had the ragged look on the neck.
I didn't have binocs as my horse is not as enthralled with birds as I am.
Also had about 20 DC cormorants, is it possible to see one still in first
year plumage?  it swam, floated and flew like the others although it had a
pale throat.  if it swims like a corm, flies like a corm ,it is problably a
corm.  but again, no binoc.  This pond is located in NW Orange co.
Barb brooks  brooksba@mindspring.com  hillsborough, nc