Re: safflower seed

Hi Bruce,
   I started using safflower seed this Fall in my feeders to deter
squirrels. (Squirrels supposedly don't like safflower as much as other
seeds). Since switching to safflower, I've attracted mostly cardinals,
chickadees, titmice, brown-headed nuthatches, house finches, wrens, song
sparrows, and white-throated sparrows who feed off the seed that falls to
the ground. During the coldest part of winter, red-bellied woodpeckers
would eat the safflower, as well as brown thrashers. The squirrels
initially did not eat it, but eventually started eating the safflower, but
not with the same enthusiasm as other types of seed. Overall, I have had a
good experience with it!

Wendy West
Decatur, GA (on my way to Graham, NC this weekend for Easter)