black-necked stilt

Dear Carolina Birders,
  Yesterday, Wade Fuller and his nephew,  Rich and I went birding at Cedar
Island and saw a Black-necked Stilt at the pond beside the ferry terminal.
We saw a second one, plus a good variety of shorebirds, at Lola Point, which
is on the Cedar Island NWR. We felt that two BNStilts in Carteret County in
one day was a grand find.  Rich and I then went to the Island Creek Nature
Trail in Jones County, owned by the Croatan National Forest.  There we heard
several migrants: Ovenbird, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Yellow-throated Warbler,
Northern Parula.  The usual local birds were present of course.   Returning
by way of the Croatan, we heard Bachman's Sparrows singing at the Millis
Road Savannah that John Fussell refers to in his book, A Birder's Guide to
Coastal North Carolina.  A good day for the first of April.
Good Birding,
Susan Boyd
sarrington@coastalnet.com