spring birds

Howdy!

Joe and I finally saw a few spring migrants people have been writing
about while birding at Umstead State Park in Raleigh. Nice to see
Blue-headed Vireo and gnatcatchers again, while a few wintering birds,
like Yellow-breasted Sapsucker, junco, and singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets
are still in town. Another treat was seeing Ruddy Ducks in breeding
plummage along Aviation Expressway. This is the time of year you
understand how they got their ruddy name, plus the male's blue bill is
neat!!

Joe and I are off tomorrow for a business class in Dallas, plus birding
along the Gulf Coast on the way home. Some of you remember Lynn Barber
from CBC. I'll be birding with her while Joe is in class. Guess we'll
see some migrants on the Gulf, before they make it to the Carolinas.

Happy spring birding!! Karen Bearden
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net