Sunset Beach Sharp-tailed Sparrows

Last Friday (March 29) I birded the area between Sunset Beach and Bird
Island and encountered a large number of Sharp-tailed Sparrows in the
marshes adjacent the dunes.  This area was simply alive with Seaside
Sparrows and a "dizzying array" of Sharp-tailed Saprrows. At one time I had
2Seaside Sparrows and 5 Sharp-tailed Sparrows in my binoculars 15 feet from
me.  While doing a 180 scan of the marsh I had approximately 20
Sharp-tailed Sparrows up, in the sun, looking at me at one time.  You must
wonder just how many sparrows were actually in this marsh as it must have
been 100's.  Both Seaside and Sharp-tailed were also walking in the sand at
my feet.  It would have been great to have a bird photographer at my side.
I saw "perfect" Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrows, Nelson's Sharp-tailed
Sparrows, as well as the subvirgatus form of Nelson's.  It was simply an
exciting and memorable birding experience.  I also had 67 Black-bellied
Plovers at this site plus good numbers of Red Knots.

Keith E. Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, North Carolina 28056
704 824-0626