the owl that wouldn't flush

By all previous accounts of nest checking in my Barred Owl expedition,
yesterday provided another incredible twist. Usually when we place a ladder
against a nest tree or make considerable noise at the base of the tree, owls
come off immediately and will fly off at a distance of 15-50  yards.
Yesterday as Rob and I placed the ladder up against the nest tree, the bird
surprisingly remained in the cavity. I might mention that the bird was
entirely in view due to the degree of decay around the cavity area. As I
ascended to the nest, the female amazingly held her ground. Next thing I
knew, I was face-to-face with a brooding mother owl. Remembering what it was
like growing up with "setting hens" I knew that it was at least possible to
get severely pecked and not to mention footed by an angry brooding bird. The
total shock came when the female owl let me raise her tail end up and lift
out a baby that was probably a week to 10 days old. As the baby and its
sibling were to young to band we simply took a few photos for project slides
and I placed the baby back under Mama who did nothing more than clack her
beak in typical Barred Owl fashion. The mate was roosting in an evergreen
tree about 100 feet away and seemed intent on doing nothing regarding the
invasion of his nest. This is probably as tame a pair of owls as we have
encountered.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC