Sparrow ID Question

Hello All,

    After work on Monday, 4/8/02, I was watching the feeders, when I noted a
small pale buffy sparrow admixed with numerous White-throated Sparrows
feeding on the ground. The small sparrow had a gray nape and a light brown
ear patch. Though it was scared off multiple times along with the
White-throated Sparrows, some of which were also harassing it, by other birds
including Mallards, Common Grackles and a flyover Cooper's Hawk, it returned
twice. The following times I was able to study it with the spotting scope.
The details appeared consistent with a Clay-colored Sparrow including a buffy
white central crown stripe. Unfortunately I never was presented with a look
at the bird's rump, because it was covered by the wings, so I do not know if
the rump was gray or brown. I cannot state for certain that the bird was not
an immature Chipping Sparrow. This is the only time of the year that I see
Chipping Sparrows in my yard but all of them I have identified so far have
been in distinct adult breeding plumage. I know that a Clay-colored Sparrow
would be unusual in the Piedmont in spring and none have been documented yet
in Gaston County at any time. My question is how likely or unlikely would it
be to have a Chipping Sparrow this time of the year with no adult markings?
Thanks for your help.

Steve Tracy
Gastonia, NC