First baby herons at Cub Creek, Jordan Lake

I checked the Cub Creek Heronry at about 9:00 a.m.
today.  Since I had seen the first few adults sitting
on the nests 29 days ago, I was expecting to see a few
babies (the incubation time is listed as 28 days), and
lo-and-behold, there they were.  One nest had two
fluffy grey/white babies that appeared to be about two
days old; another nest had two babies that appeared to
be somewhat larger and more active, perhaps three to
four days old.  So the count of babies is now at least
four.  There were adult herons sitting on 35
additional nests.  As I was watching the two nests
with the babies, the adult was standing and
regurgitating food for the babies, but after awhile
the adult sat down again, completing hiding the babies
under her.  So it is possible that there were
additional nests with babies, as well.  In total I
could see 55 nests today, but five were not occupied
at the time I was viewing them.  All the rest had an
adult either sitting or standing.  I saw 54 adults and
4 babies.

Since turkey hunting season starts tomorrow (until May
11), I'll be checking the heronry mostly on Sundays!

Alan Johnston
Chapel Hill
alanj46@yahoo.com