11 warbler sp. at Sassafrass Mtn. (SC)

In spite of showers, mist, and terrible light, Jane Chew and I had 11
warbler species on Sassafrass Mountain (Pickens County, SC) today.  They
were:

Black-throated Green (singing on territory [ST])
Black-and-white (ST)
Northern Parula (ST)
American Redstart (migrant; singing)
Hooded (ST)
Yellow-throated (silent; likely a migrant)
Yellow-rumped (migrant; males and females in alternate plumage)
Worm-eating (ST)
Prairie (migrant; singing)
Black-throated Blue (ST)
Ovenbird (ST)

Perhaps my most ususual bird ever at Sassafrass flew over as we were
birding on the Van Clayton Highway (which runs from Rocky Bottom to the
summit): a Double-crested Cormorant, which emerged from one low-lying
clould and then disappeared into another.  Also seen along the highway were
at least two Field Sparrows (unprecedented here, in my experience); we also
had, unexpectedly, a couple of Chipping Sparrows deep in the woods.

Jim Edwards
jim.edwards@furman.edu