Winter hummers still in NC

Dear All,

Although I have not checked in with all of the winter hummer hosts in North
Carolina yet, I know that as of this afternoon *a number* still have their
Western guests.  Most notably the Calliope is still in Winston-Salem and the
Broad-tailed is still in Gibsonville!  And at least two Rufous near the
Triangle are still at their feeders!!  Amazingly all of these folks also
have seen male Ruby-throats in their yards at the same time.  It has caused
some significant distress (observing frequent altercations with returning
Ruby-throats) as well as high hopes that their tiny friends might actually
stay for the summer.  Sadly I have to tell them that it is not likely.  I
encourage them to simply enjoy them as much as possible now since they may
head out at any time.

Here I have had at least four different male Ruby-throats appear in the past
two weeks.  The first  was a male I banded in July of 2000 and had not seen
since.  He is now a sleek feisty adult.  Making his reacquaintence as the
first of the season felt like a good omen--as well as a great privilege.  I
have yet to see a female but I did hear a male displaying this afternoon so
maybe tomorrow morning I will be able to greet the first, complete with a
shiny new bracelet...

Happy spring!

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC