A slow day on the bluffs

Cold fronts are welcomed by fall migrant chasers.  The same weather system
in the spring is not always so welcome.  Such was the case today at the
various spots I visited hoping to fill that yearning need to see some
migrants.  Maybe it was the weather, and maybe it wasn't, but the woods
were mighty quiet.  I really had to search to find something other than a
cedar waxwing or a butterbutt.  I gave about 2.5 hours to the cause but
only came up with the following:

Wood Thrush
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Red-eyed Vireo
Great Crested Flycatcher
BG Gnatcatcher
RT Hummingbird
Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Heard only adds:

LA Waterthrush
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler

Speaking of yellow-rumps (and there were many), I finally gave up looking
for the flashier warblers and starting looking at the YR's (I know, it's a
desperate act).  I noted one male that had a yellow wash on the throat.
This is the same patch of bird that is bright yellow in alternate plumage
on the Audubon's subspecies.  I wonder how common it is for Myrtle's to
have a yellow hue to this area?

To add insult to injury I headed over to a patch of field I've been
watching as potential Bobolink habitat.  Nice and weedy.  But...they mowed
it today.

We'll see how tomorrow goes!

Steve Shultz
Apex, NC