(Fwd) Lesser Black-backed Gull

Doug would like somebody to check this bird out...
Crosswinds Marina is at Jordan Lake on Farrington Road, just north of US 64.
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/xwinds.html

Hope it sticks around for the count on Sunday!

Date sent:      	Fri, 03 May 2002 12:43:48 -0400
From:           	Douglas S Shadwick (dshadwic@csc.com)

    I spotted a first winter Lesser  Black-backed Gull  at Cross Winds
Marina this morning.   I am about 99% sure of this.   I had the bird in the
same field as an adult Herring Gull and a Ring-billed Gull.  The Lesser
Black-backed Gull was intermediate in size between the other two gulls.
The plumage was mottled brown - darker on the mantle and wings with black
primaries showning on the resting bird.  The mantle also had a checkered
appearance.  The head color was a light gray-white with noticable dark
smugging aroug the eye. The wing tips extended well beyond the tail tip.
The legs were pinkish.   The one field mark I didn't see was the bill color
as the bird had its head tucked.

   Given the location and late date,   it would be nice if someone else
checked this bird out.

Doug

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708