Starling Attacks Flicker Nest

Dear Birders,

Yesterday, I noticed a starling checking out the nest box occupied by a pair
of flickers.
He would sit on the roof with nesting material in his beak, eyeing the
opening.
My flickers have a habit of hanging their heads out the hole so the starling
didn't try to enter - at least at first.

Then, I watched in horror as the starling forced his way into the nest box
while an adult flicker was inside.
I couldn't believe the starling would try this.
I held my breath...

Fortunately the flicker successfully fended off the starling, but I had to
wonder whether any of the eggs were damaged.

This morning, I checked the nest box and found the three little pink eggs
were just fine.

Here's a picture:

http://www.mybirdlist.com/FlickerEggs.jpg

John Argentati