My 3 cents

There are dozens of discussion boards and mail lists covering
environmental/political/social/cultural issues. I belong to this list to
learn more of the science of birds. Sometimes that includes interactions
with other flora and fauna found in nature.   That is where things should stop.

Adding discussions about who protects/destroys out natural world the most
will clutter up this list.

As tempting as it is, I will refrain from commenting on any of the
political issues already mentioned.

Ok, I give in, a little.

Personally, I believe all share near equal blame for the destruction of our
natural world. Politicians spend most of their time and efforts getting
re-elected. Some liberal politicians and "liberal" scientists have done
great harm to common sense management by crying wolf one too many times.
Some conservative politicians and "conservative scientists are just plain
ignorant about the issues(or are they?). I trust nary a one.

Many conservative "people" do work for conservation -   http://www.rep.org/
Conservative people belong to the Nature Conservancy, Audubon
etc.....(maybe not  Earth First or Greenpeace  :-) )

OK------------let's talk BIRDS

RE : Population issues - We live in the US. We are OUT OF THE LOOP.  As
long as we are the most wasteful country we have no foundation in telling
other countries to stop having kids. They want what we have. We have
created a monster and it is called "STUFF". The population  of the US is
growing at a very slow pace. We are destroying habitat because of our
addiction to "STUFF" more than our overpopulating. "STUFF" includes those
with expendable income overburdening natural areas with "eco-tourism" and
"second homes" in the "wilderness".

OK - Lets talk BIRDS !!!

Brian

Brian T. Murphy   www.mindspring.com/~brmurphy