FALLS LAKE WILDATHON

I did a FULL 24 hour wildathon on 5/1-2.  The weather was cloudy in the
morning but then warmed up and the sun came out.  A thunderstorm passed
though from 2:00 to 5:00 a.m. allowing me to take a quick nap.  I
counted Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, butterflies, dragonflies
and fireflies.  I concentrated my efforts at Woodpecker Ridge,
Brickhouse Road Waterfowl Impoundments, Sandling Beach, Holly Point and
Rolling View Recreation Areas.  It was an incredible day and I logged in
over 100 miles by car, 15 by foot and 25 by bike.  Saw a ton of good
birds, new county records and park records for several species.  Biggest
BIG DAY I've had restricing myself to only the Falls Lake area which is
only wake and durham counties.

BIRDS (106 - last year: 84)

Common Loon - 7 calling in the evening near Sandling Beach
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret - 9 out at Brickhouse Road Waterfowl Impoundments!!!
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
American Black Duck - 2 at Rollingview
Osprey
Cooper=92s Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Dunlin - one lone dunlin hanging out with a Killdeer at Sandling Beach
Ring-billed Gull - Love that lingerging gull flock!
Herring Gull
Bonaparte=92s Gull
Laughing Gull
Caspian Tern - calling and flew into Sandling Beach
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl
Barred Owl
Common Nighthawk - calling at Brickhouse Road
Whip-poor-will - several calling
Chuck-wills-widow - several calling
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Swainson=92s Thrush - calling in Woodpecker Ridge
Wood Thrush
Hermit Thrush - one lingering bird calling in Woodpecker Ridge
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black & White Warbler
American Redstart
Prothonotary Warbler
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow
Wild Turkey

MAMMALS (10 - last year: 8)

White-tailed Deer
Gray Fox
Eastern Red Bat
Virginia Opossum
Eastern Mole
Eastern Cottontail
Woodchuck (pair fighting)
Eastern Gray Squirrel
American Beaver
Eastern Chipmonk (new Falls Lake area record)

REPTILES (11 - last year: 11)

Eastern Fence Lizard
Five-lined Skink
Southeastern Five-lined Sk
Ground Skink
Black Racer
Black Rat Snake
Redbelly Water Snake
Northern Water Snake
Painted Turtle
Eastern Box Turtle
Yellowbelly Slider

AMPHIBIANS (13 - last year: 8)

American Toad
Fowler=92s Toad
Northern Cricket Frog
Gray Treefrog
Green Treefrog  - range expansion!
Barking Treefrog - range expansion!!
Bullfrog
Green Frog
Pickeral Frog
Southern Leopard Frog
Northern Two-lined Salamander
Slimy Salamander
Eastern Newt

BUTTERFLIES (23 - last year: 23)

Pipevine Swallowtail
Zebra Swallowtail
Black Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Checkered White
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Sleepy Orange
Pearl Crescent
American Lady
Red Admiral
Common Buckeye
Red-spotted Purple
Viceroy
Carolina Satyr
Eastern Tailed-blue
Spring Azure
Least Skipper
Horace=92s Duskywing
Northern Cloudywing
Silver-spotted Skipper

ODONATES (25 - last year: 9)

Common Green Darner
Comet Darner
Springtime Darner
Regal Darner
Swamp Darner
Common Baskettail
Stripe-winged Baskettail - new park record
Uhler=92s Sundragon
Lancet Clubtail
Swift Setwing
Eastern Pondhawk