Re: New species in NC???

Well, yes and no. Red-cockeyed Woodpecker has been reported before,
interestingly, almost always in newspapers (seldom on TV). I'm not sure
a birder has reported one yet on carolinabirds. The NC Bird Records
Committee has rejected all such reports! Ha, ha! Common Crackle has also
been reported in print, as well as probably a few hundred other species
for NC.

FYI -- The Spring Chat (I believe) will contain the entire NC Bird List,
as of the end of 2001. It is a very impressive list, over 450 species,
now that quite a few hummingbirds have been added. Still looking to get
all these new species published in Chat and elsewhere for complete
documentation. Potential additions to the list for a vote this year
hopefully would be Green-tailed Towhee, Pacific-slope (Western)
Flycatcher, Bicknell's Thrush (still haven't cleared up this mess), and
maybe one or two others.

It's been a very slow last few months for real strays or new NC
sightings (Green-tailed Towhee in Dec/Jan) is the last I can recall.
Doesn't mean we aren't out there looking!

Harry LeGrand
Chair, NC Bird Records Committee

--
Harry LeGrand