Chapel Hill spring bird count, semipalmated sandpipers atFarrington Road sewage works

Hi Folks,

Brian Bockhahn and I covered the Stagecoach Road, Farrington Road
area on a day that got us 82 species including some rarities. Notably:

at the Jordan Lake end of the railway gauge running from Stagecoach
Road we had a warbler bonanza including yellow, yellow-rumped, common
yellowthroat, palm, Am. redstart, blackpoll, Louisiana waterthrush.

In the swampy area north of the gauge we had a great egret, a family
of wood ducks and a black duck in the company of two mallards. We
think this may have been a black duck x mallard hybrid female as some
aspects of its plumage were intermediate.

At the Farrington Road water treatment works, two semipalmated
sandpipers in the evaporation tanks along with spotted sandpipers and
killdeer. If anyone wishes to see these birds, permission to enter
the site can be obtained from Robert Dodson at the site on 919 560
4336. I would very much appreciate other birders confirming our ID of
these peeps.

All in all a great day!

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu