PEREGRINE FALCONS/DEVIL'S COURTHOUSE

Greetings,
Art and I went to Devil's Courthouse on the Blue Ridge Parkway on
Saturday afternoon, May 18.  We arrived about 3 pm - the sky had cleared
and it was extremely windy (that spot is usually windy in the parking
lot anyhow) and cold!!  We set up our scope on the short little path off
to the right of the parking lot out of the wind and were able to spot
the nest and the furry white ball sitting up looking around.  We had
good views (after about 45 minutes, close to the 4:00 hour Reece has
mentioned) of the parents swooping past, passing the food and the mother
returning to the nest.  This happened two times inspite of the heavy
winds.  Later a Turkey Vulture came floating through the area enjoying
the drafts and that mother falcon zoomed off the nest and chased the TV
away so fast it was breathtaking.  Then she flew right back up and the
baby disappeared further into the nest!  Interesting to see nature at
work.

Bev Hudson
Hendersonville, NC