Solo Great Blue Heron Nest

Sunday while driving back from North Carolina with my son on highway 14
about fifteen south of the North Carolina state line in the northern part of
Greer,  South Carolina, I decided to stop at a small park I had driven by
for years and never stopped at with religious statues in it called  Our Lady
of Queen of Vietnam Park of South Carolina. As I looked down the hill from
the statues I saw a lovely marsh. At the front on the marsh was a tall dead
tree with a Great Blue Heron nest in it.
There are two chicks and one adult in the nest. You can't miss the nest from
the park.

The park in across the street from Skyland Elementary School in Greer, SC
off of highway 14 and as far as I can tell is open to the public. It has a
brick and iron gate in front of it. I took the day off of work today to
celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary with my husband in the mountains and
stopped by the park on my way back to look for more nests and could not find
any. I did not have access to part of the marsh as it is backed by a horse
farm. If anyone wants to see the nest, they should probably do so quickly
because the chicks looked  fairly large. Also, if anyone knows anything
about the history of this park or has birded it before please reply to me
off line.

Linda Sharp
Greenville, SC
(864)  268-9409