alder fly

Got back from the Mts. yesterday--Julian Price Park and surrounding
area--pretty much had it all to myself.  The campgrounds are a good spot to
check out Black-throated Blue Warbler, Canada Warbler, Wood Thrush, and
Veery among other birds, particularly birds of the higher and more northern
altitudes and latitudes.

The picnic area just north of the camping area, as discribed in Marcus
Simpson's book on the BRP, is a nice place to see many birds as well.  The
bog/ancient lake bed along Boone Fork Trail is loaded with Chestnut-sided
Warblers, but most noteworthy is the Alder Flycatcher.  I only saw one Alder
Flycatcher while I was there on three separate visits.  The bird was easy to
find, as it constantly "sang" and flew in a regular routine from one tree to
another, then another.

It's a nice place to visit for birds, hikes, and scenery, although I can
imagine it get's rather crowded at times.

I also checked out a spot for Golden-winged Warbler as per Watauga Cnty
Hotline (828-265-0198).  I only tried one location noted on the hotline, the
hillside behind the Western Branch of the County Library, Sugar Cgrove, NC
(NW of Boone).  I did not see or hear a G-w Warbler, but it was rather windy
at the time.  The hillside is beyond a creek and on private property, so if
anyone goes to this location you may not see what you are there to see, as
noted on the hotline.  I had to give it a shot anyway.

Visited the area south of Lewis OL at Mile 270.5 BRP, or there about, for
Cerulean Warbler, didn't see or hear one, nice scenery just the same.

-----
Greg Dodge
Brownbag Productions
Hillsborough, NC