Re: Busy Backyard Birds

-->Later one Bluebird house was occupied by Titmice.  This one fledged about 4. This was the first Titmice that we have had to nest.

I read in my Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher book, that "if tempted into a nestbox, titmice may continue to use it throughout their lives." How exciting for you!

-->I saw two thrashers diving at the tail of a blacksnake as it slithered very fast to the open land behind the yard.

I too have a LOT of black rat snakes. Just the other day I woke to obnoxious squawking outside my window. I walked outside and a huge black snake dropped out of a pine tree. I hurried over to scoop it up (after which it proceeded to release musk), and mom drove me a mile or so down the road to relocate it.

I have seen black snakes shimmy vertical up our cedar siding to get at phoebe nests. Now, however, the phoebes have gained a guardian of sorts -- my pet rabbit. Twice he has alerted us to the presence of a snake climbing up the wall; when frightened he thumps his hind legs very loudly.

I am too tenderhearted to harm the snakes, but they are quite a nuissance. Anyone have luck with that Snake-Away stuff?

---
Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus