bowing cowbirds

Dear Carolina birders,

There is a large bay window on the back side of my house which draws a great deal of attention from birds. I used to have some problems with birds crashing into it. However, since I placed brackets on both sides with hanging feeders, there seem to be less collisions. (Apparently birds are distracted by the feeders and slow down before the window.) I also have some cocky male birds that perch on these brackets and display. One bluebird will sit and warble or even peck at his reflection. The most interesting, however, is a brown-headed cowbird. He stares at himself for a moment, then fluffs out his feathers, makes his metallic "bubbly" call, and bows with wings extended. It is both amazing and hilarious!

---
Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus