Re: Martins and mosquitoes

Don't feel too bad, I've had a martin house for 12 years with no martins! However, in the last several years, a pair of bluebirds has nested in one of the compartments. (They like to rotate their nesting spot; apparently they are aware of parasite infestations.) I'd be duly impressed if a black snake climbed this 12ft+ metal pole. In fact, I might commend his efforts!

I think the main reason we don't have martins is that the house is situated too close to a large, overgrown brushpile. (I have read that martins dislike close proximity to larger trees; however, my dad has a martin house at Lake Wateree right next to some tall pines and sweetgums. He got martins in the second year!) Our pond is about 5 min walk from the house as well. We do have a pair of very successful phoebes though! They are on their second brood right now. The four young from the first batch are always nearby, wagging their tails in the understory.

On the subject of mosquitos, I saw a product in Duncraft which claims to prevent mosquito breeding by breaking surface tension on the water. Does anyone know the effectiveness of this product?

I am looking forward to the approval of plant-derived mosquito repellants. I may have mentioned before that oils from pepper and catnip plants have shown promising results, (National Wildlife).

I really must set up a bat house. Anyone have luck with those? Maybe I should come up with plans for a dragonfly house too! (Where do the little dragons rest, besides skinny vertical structures?) There are butterfly and ladybug houses, why not dragon houses?

p.s. For all you grammar kings and queens, both "mosquitos" and "mosquitoes" are acceptable spellings, (Webster's).
---
Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com

WIN a first class trip to Hawaii.  Live like the King of Rock and Roll
on the big Island. Enter Now!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail/http://www.elvis.lycos.com/sweepstakes