First Lynch st. Hummer; CarolinaBats?

Hi Carolinabirders,

As Airlie and I were leaving for the farmer's market this morning, she
spotted the first hummer for our new home sitting at the feeder! Hasn't
returned since, maybe I need to smear some vaseline and stop the ants
after all... Also a medium-sized mantid on the wall of the house this
afternoon, couldn't tell whether it was the native Carolina species or a
Eurasian or Chinese import.

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 Burnetted@aol.com wrote:

> Clyde Sorenson's reference to bats as better "allies" than Purple Martins
> makes me wish I knew more about Carolina bats. I have a couple of general
> mammal books that include bats, but I searched the web and local bookstores
> without luck for anything that would tell em about "our" bats. Does anyone
> know of an article, website, book, or other resource that I could go to for
> more information about our local species of bats?

A website:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/forest/steward/www21.html
Part of the NCSU extension's "Working With Wildlife" website whence I
frequently cite on this listserv. In addition to this page on bats
(including a list of NC species, preferred habitats, and instructions on
constructing and installing bat houses), they have pages on management for
everything from Mourning Dove and Grey Squirrel through Bobwhite and Wild
Turkey to Amphibians, Owls, Butterflies and Hummingbirds...

A book:
"Mammals of the Carolinas, Virginia, and Maryland" by Webster, Parnell,
and Biggs; published by UNC press. Almost bought it myself a couple of
weeks ago, but decided on "Common Spiders of the United States" instead.
Gotta have priorities!

Another resource:
Mary K. Clark, Curator of Mammals, NC Museum of Natural Sciences. Appears
to specialize in bats. Would probably answer reasonable questions via
e-mail, I hear she's a nice person. See
http://www.naturalsciences.org/research/mammals/clark.html

(sorry, no articles I know of)

Good birding,