Painted Buntings

To the person who recently asked about painted buntings in the
Charleston area... we are on vacation this week at Isle of Palms and
there are quite a few of them here in the small oaks and underbrush
between the beachfront houses and the dunes.  Specifically, the public
access path to the beach adjacent to 3006 Palm Boulevard passes through
a dense thicket and during the day he frequently sings from a dead
branch in the top of the oak tree.  Early in the morning he sings from
the top of a mast on a Catamaran at the end of the public access path.
We've been here since Saturday and I heard them singing the first day
but assumed it was an indigo bunting because that's what it sounded like
to me (rule #1: never assume).  Yesterday I pulled out my Sibley's guide
because I wanted to find a painted bunting while I was here and read
that the painted bunting sounds much like the indigo.  I pulled out my
binoculars and there he was right under my nose.  There are more of them
about 12 houses up the beach towards Wild Dunes and again about a dozen
or so more houses beyond that.

Harry Davis
Greenville, SC