(Fwd) Least Terns nesting at Myrtle Beach

To:             	cwcook@acpub.duke.edu
Date sent:      	Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:26:58 -0500
Subject:        	Least Terns
From:           	Richard Biss <bissbirds@juno.com>

I just returned from a Veterinary Conference at  the Springmaid Beach
Resort and Conference Center in Myrtle Beach South Carolina.  There are
many Least Terns nesting on the roof of the Cypress Building.  There were
at least 90-110 birds perched on the roof at all times.  At sunset I
counted 255 birds roosting on the roof.  Most of the nests contained 1
egg, but many had 2 eggs.  I assume that there are at least 90 active
nests there.

I don't know if anyone in the area is aware of this colony, so could you
please post it on Carolina birds?  It would be worthwhile for someone to
monitor this colony.  It was a fantastic site to behold.  I was on the
sixth floor of the nearby Palmetto building looking down on the colony.
It was easy to view them with binoculars, and the eggs could be seen
through my telescope.  I wish I was a couple weeks later, as it would
have been great to see the eggs hatch.

Richard Biss
Lake Villa IL
bissbirds@juno.com

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708