Great-Crested Flycatchers

While having coffee this morning, I noticed both  great-crested flycatcher
parents busy going back and forth to my flycatcher box to feed their young.
I have not had the desire yet to see how many are in there, for I do not
want them disturbed.  They have been nesting in my yard now for many years
ever since I put up a box for them with their requirements, which was a 5 x
5 base and a 2 inch entry hole.  I noticed the first year they came on
Mother's day, and ever since I can almost set my clock by their arrival.
Sometimes they are running a little behind, but it's fairly close each year.

 I often wonder about some of the species, and how single parents are often
left to do it all.

I put up a screech owl box a couple of months ago and hope I'll get lucky.
I'm always hopeful.  Does anyone know what kind of signs I might look for if
one does take up residence in it?

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com