Lori Fleming thought you should know

Dear Fellow Birders,

I wanted to let you know about this critical environmental issue.
DEN Alert: Stop the Poisoning of Migratory Birds

The federal government is allowing Louisiana rice growers to
spread a bird-killing pesticide. The highly toxic  chemical named
carbofuran has been responsible for the deaths of millions of
birds, including bald eagles.  The granular form of carbofuran
that the farmers would spread is so dangerous that it was
withdrawn from use in the mid-1990s.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has stated: "There are no
known conditions under which carbofuran can be used  without
killing migratory birds." But the Environmental Protection Agency
agreed to allow use of this deadly pesticide without even
consulting the Fish and Wildlife Service as required by law or
seeking public comment. When environmentalists learned of the
EPA's action and demanded to be heard, officials agreed to permit
public comments – but for only five days.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Send a FREE e-mail through http://www.denaction.org to the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency and urge them not to allow the
use of the deadly pesticide. The public comment period ends on
Friday, JULY 5. We encourage you to put the sample letter below
into your own words and send it to the head of the EPA. Thanks
for sending a strong message that our government cannot disregard
our wildlife laws.

Lori Fleming