White-faced Ibis (#400)

Paula and I returned home from a trip today at 11:00 a.m. and promptly had
to leave again based on the news of the White-faced Ibis.  We saw the bird
at 2:30 and returned to see it again at 4:00 p.m.  At both times it was in
the same general area, feeding in the roadside ditch along the old South
Nags Head road in the 9500-9600 block.  This is near milepost 19.  Three
other ibis (all Glossy) were in the same general area, but they were not in
a group.  The White-faced Ibis shows all the appropriate field marks; white
all around the face, red eye, and red legs all the way down.  It is not in
"high" breeding plumage, so the white around the face is somewhat dull, but
still very distinctive.   The leg color shows up well only in good light.

The White-faced Ibis is my 400th bird species for North Carolina.  A few
years ago I never thought I would reach this milestone.  What a difference a
few good birding years and the internet make!
--
John and Paula Wright     h 252-756-5139

johnswrighthsd@earthlink.net      Greenville, North Carolina